Sunday May 25, 2008 THESTARIPOH: The Road Transport Department (JPJ) has seized 10 Konsortium Bas Ekspres Semenanjung Sdn Bhd buses since its recent ban.
It also confiscated the travel documents of another bus.
JPJ enforcement chief Salim Parlan said the buses had been found plying roads and highways in Kuala Lumpur, Pahang, Kedah, Malacca and Johor despite a month-long ban on its operations until June 13.
“The most recent bus we seized was in Kuala Lumpur on Thursday,” he told reporters yesterday after a JPJ community programme with the orang asli in Pos Raya, about 30km from here.
“In Terengganu, we only confiscated the documents as the bus was stationary at the terminal.”
The Commercial Vehicle Licensing Board (CVLB) recently banned all buses of the company for ignoring safety measures.
The suspension came into effect on May 14 after an inquiry revealed many of the company’s buses were involved in road accidents.
He said following the end of the suspension period, the CVLB check the company before making its recommendations.
Salim, who is also a CVLB board member, added it was looking into other bus companies before deciding if similar action should be taken against them.
“Because such inquiries are very exhaustive and involves many parties, it might take some time before we know if others will have similar action taken against them,” he added.
He also clarified that although the body of the buses was “Konsortium Bas Ekspres”, it did not mean they were those of Konsortium Bas Ekspres Semenanjung Sdn Bhd because the company and its two sister companies, Super Coach Liner and Stoneway Corporation, operated under the banner name of Konsortium Bas Bhd.
The public, Salim said, could tell to whom the bus belonged to by looking at the name and address printed at the bottom corner of the vehicle.